BRIGHT UGOCHUKWU EKE
Born 1976 Imo, Nigeria
MFA, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
BA, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
2008 Water and Me: Art in Unconventional Space- Trinidad and Tobago
2006 Environ-Scope: Goethe Institute, Lagos, Nigeria
Selected Group Exhibitions
• RETHINK: THE IMPLICIT, Den Frie Center for Contemporary Art,
• All Barnsley Diversity Festival, South Yorks, UK
• Stichting Art in Redlight, Amsterdam
2009 2nd Thessaloniki Biennale of Contemporary Art, Greece
2009 TASTE 2009: Root Division, San Fransisco, USA
2009 CODE SHARE: 5 Continents, 10 biennales, 20 Artists. Vilnius,
2008 Art, Migration, and Identity: International Festival of the Arts in arnhem-
2008 Echo Wanted: Gallery Karsten Greve, Paris
2008 Experimental Frontiers: Society through the eyes of South African and
Nigerian artists, Cape Town, South africa
2008 WATER: Delight and Woe; Ifa-Gallery Stuttgart and Ifa-Gallery Berlin, Germany.
2007 Sharjah Biannial 8,United Arab Emirates.
Trans-Cape Contemporary African Art Exhibition, Cape Town, South African
2006 ACP (African, Caribbean and Pacific) Festival, Santa Domingo, Antilles
DAK’ART, 7TH Biennial of Contemporary African Art, IFAN Museum, Dakar, Senegal
MFA Exhibition, Ana Gallery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
2005 Founders’ Day Anniversary Exhibition, Ana Gallery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
5th Biennial Exhibition of the Pan African Circle of Artists, National Museum, Enugu
2002 Degree Exhibition, Ana Gallery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
• Member-College Arts Association, USA
• Member - Greepeace, USA
• Water is Power: African Art History. College Art Association
Conference, Los Angeles, Convention Center USA.
• Slide talk, Alice Yard-Experimental Space, Trinidad and Tobago
• Slide talk, Palo Alto Art Center, California, USA.
• International Festival of the Arts in Arnhem, Netherlands-Residency at Thamgidi Studios
• Commonwealth Arts and Craft Awards Residency, Trinidad and Tobago.
• Djerassi Artists Residency Program, California, USA.
• UNESCO Aschberg Bursaries for Artists’ Residency,
Centro Colombo Americano, Colombia
• CommonWealth Arts and Craft Awards ,2007
• ResArtis Award, Dakar Prize. 2007
• The LEF Foundation, Lava Thomas and Peter Danzig Fellowship, DRAP, USA
• UNESCO Aschberg Bursaries for Artists, 2007
• Best Graduating Student Prize, Dept. of Fine and Applied Arts, University of Nigeria, Nsukka-2001
Member - 3 Member Regional Panel of Judges (Africa): Commonwealth Connections Residency, 2009
• Sola, Balogun, “Ugochukwu Eke: Mirroring Society on Goethe Stage”, Daily Sun, (November 2006): 32
• Tajudeen, Sowole, “Eke’s Environ – Scope …., Beauties from the dumpsite”, The Guardian Life, (December 2006): Vol. 2, No. 11.
• Ozolua, Uhakheme, “Environ – Scope: Using Art to save Environment”, Daily Independent, (December 2006)
• Chuka, Nnabuife, “Environ – Scope … Bright Eke sets forth on Conceptual path”, The Guardian, (November 2006), 89.
• Ozioma, Onuzulike, “Presenting the ‘Unpresentable’: Bright Eke’s Installation Art” Catalogue, (November 2006)